Malacca Foods : Chicken Rice Balls

Friday, March 21, 2008

Many of my blog friends want to know what I had in Malacca. Some of them are from Malacca or nearby town. I hope they can share some of their favorites foods so that next time I can try.

For this trip, I did some researched at Floggers Sites as I would like to try some of the best foods available in Malacca. I found out that most of them recommended the famous Chicken Rice Balls, Satay Celup or "Satay Steamboat", Durian Cendol, WanTan Mee, Nyoya Assam Laksa, Teochew foods & Nyoya Foods.

Well, I actually have only about 12 hours to spend in Malacca and there are so many good foods to try. I plan my time to try as many as possible. So I decided to have dinner followed by supper on Day 1. Next day, we had breakfast, brunch, dessert and lunch before I head back to KL @ 3.00pm. In between, we explored Jonker Street.

1) Chicken Rice Balls
This is a definite must try dish when you are in Malacca. In fact I start looking for Chung Wah checken Rice Balls or Hoe Kee Chicken Rice Balls on the 1st day after I visited the historical sites near my hotel. I walked to Jonker Street which is not to far away.

Unfortunately, both this shops already closed and not open for night business. A local told me that they will closed when their foods are sold out and told me that Chung Wah is the Original One. Since I have in mind to eat this chicken rice balls, I could not resist not having it and I found one that was open for dinner.

Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Balls
No. 28-30, Jalan Hang Kasturi,
Off Jonker Street, 75200 Melaka.
Tel: +606-2860121
Fax: +606-2824595
Photobucket

Photobucket
The place is not packed and you can tell it is not the best chicken rice ball shops.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
For drinks, we ordered Lime Juice & Wheat grass drink. (RM2.00/cup)
Photobucket
Gui Ling Guo.
Photobucket
Kampung Chicken.
Photobucket
Char Siew & Roast Pork. Just Ok, KL/PJ have better ones.
Photobucket
Chicken Rice Balls and Yam Rice Balls.
Photobucket
The food here are just normal.

Next day, we went to Chung Wah Chicken Rice Balls for lunch as I wanted try the best before I head back to KL. This shop is really pack and people queuing up non stop. You have to share table due to limited tables. Just tell the attendant the total number of people eating, and you’ll be served. Unless requested otherwise, each table is served with 5 rice balls per individual, and a plate of white chicken to be shared
Chung Wah restaurant (中华茶室) is the pioneer and regarded as the best chicken rice ball restaurant in Melaka. This shop only serve Hainanese Chicken Rice. It is located just opposite OCBC Bank and ample parking with a paid car park just right beside the shop.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The Chicken here is really smooth and tender. Cooked just to the right texture and taste yummylicious. No wonder it is regarded as the best in Malacca.
Photobucket
This rice ball is smooth and solid.
Photobucket

The other famous one is Hoe Kee Chicken Rice Balls. You can see a long queue waiting to be sitted. We dont have the time to try this one. A must try when I next visit Malacca.
Photobucket
Photobucket
More posts about the other foods that I tried. :)

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe