Travel to HCMC, Vietnam

Monday, May 04, 2009


With the special offer by Air Asia, I managed to book tickets to HCMC @ RM217.00/pax return inclusive of seat selection and advance foods orders. I will be in HCMC from June 25-28, 2009.

This will be my 1st trip to Vietnam. I would prefer Hanoi than HCMC as Hanoi offer more scenic places and the Unesco site, Halong Bay. But since the ticket price is really special, I am going to explore the historical HCMC and check out the Cuci tunnels.

Looking forward to the trip. Anyone has got good recomendation on nice foods and restaurants. ?:)


Anonymous has commented that I should try Pho Hoa and Vietnamese coffee. I have managed to get some information about Pho Hoa from a Mingling of Taste's Blog.


1) Pho- It really is better here. Quite a while back, I blogged about my (failed) attempts to make good pho at home. Since then, I’ve eagerly anticipated finding an authentic version of this comforting noodle soup made with long-simmered beef or chicken and served with a gorgeous pile of herbs. On our first day in HCMC, we decided to try Pho Hoa, the shop mentioned in Patricia Shultz’s recent book, 1000 Places to See Before You Die. I’m sure Pho Hoa does not have a monopoly on great pho in HCMC, but we could not resist checking it out. We unwittingly ended up walking at least 2 or 3 miles in the midday heat to get there. You see, addresses on a lot of streets in HCMC don’t just proceed with sequential numbers. Instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, you’ve got, 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d,1e; 2a, 2b, 2c… and on and on for about 2 more miles than you thought it would be.

We didn’t think it could possibly be worth it, but it was. There’s no discernible secret to this pho. It’s simply imbued with the flavor that must come from patience and years of practice. Eat it for lunch, eat it for breakfast, eat it in the middle of the night—good pho is one of the ultimate meals in any cuisine.

Pho Hoa
260 Pasteur Street (Duong Pasteur)
Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Vietnam
Tel: +84-8-829-7943

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe